Working Mother Names Herman Miller as One of the “Best Companies for Dads”
Organizations Recognize Increasing Need to Help Fathers Be Equal Parenting Partners
Working Mother revealed its third annual list of the “Best Companies for Dads,” celebrating organizations that lead in the areas of paternity leave, childcare, flexible schedules, and more. Herman Miller was one of the 85 companies recognized on this year’s list.
“Millennial dads continue to be outspoken about wanting to be involved parents and needing the support of their companies in order to do so,” says Subha V. Barry, president of Working Mother Media. “These trendsetting organizations strive to create an inclusive environment for all working parents, and we applaud their efforts in helping to erase the stigma attached to men taking full parental leave and utilizing flexible schedules to be more involved on the homefront. By doing so, it helps moms succeed both at home and at work, and puts them on more equal footing in the process.”
Herman Miller offers a variety of family support benefits for working parents including flexible work arrangements, paid parental leave, college admissions support, and a daycare employer match. Additionally, Herman Miller promotes a total well-being approach focusing on good physical health, overall financial health, emotional health, and active community engagement. Working dads receive up to four weeks of parental leave, and this applies to dads who are caring for and bonding with a newborn or newly adopted child.
“Being a working parent today may be tougher than it’s ever been, as arrangements for school and daycare are ever-changing,” said Kim Chaumillon, Vice President of Global Engagement, Equity, and Inclusion. “We encourage our employees to bring their whole selves to work and aim to offer programs that support their changing needs. Being recognized as a top company for dads reflects this commitment.”
The Company has also been previously recognized as one of the 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers. This is the first year it has been part of the Best Companies for Dads list.
Key Facts About the 2020 Best Companies for Dads List:
- Sixty-four percent offer gender-neutral parental leave, and 36 percent offer paternity leave. The minimum number of paid gender-neutral parental leave is 10 weeks versus 14 weeks for the top 10 companies. One hundred percent offer either paid gender-neutral or fully paid paternity leave versus 29 percent nationally*. The average weeks taken by dads with gender-neutral leave are eight versus 10 weeks for the top 10 companies. The average weeks taken by dads with fully-paid paternity leave are seven versus 13 weeks for the top 10 companies.
- Eighty percent actively encourage parents to take the full amount of leave (versus 90 percent of the top 10 companies).
- Fifty-nine percent provide transition planning for parental leaves and training to managers and coworkers about parents on leave (versus 100 percent of top 10 companies).
- Ninety-one percent provide backup childcare when regular care isn’t available (versus 100 percent of top 10 companies).
- Ninety-four percent offer support for children on the autism spectrum (versus 100 percent of top 10 companies).
*According to the Society for Human Resource Management
Learn more about the award and view the complete list of the 2020 Best Companies for Dads here.
About Herman Miller
Herman Miller is a globally recognized leader in design. Since its inception in 1905, the company’s innovative, problem-solving designs and furnishings have inspired the best in people wherever they live, work, learn, heal, and play. In 2018, Herman Miller created Herman Miller Group, a purposefully selected, complementary family of brands that includes Colebrook Bosson Saunders, Design Within Reach, Geiger, HAY, Maars Living Walls, Maharam, naughtone, and Nemschoff. Guided by a shared purpose—design for the good of humankind—Herman Miller Group shapes places that matter for customers while contributing to a more equitable and sustainable future for all. For more information visit hermanmiller.com/about-us.
About the Methodology
This year, for the first time, the Best Companies for Dads was offered to companies as a separate initiative for which they had to apply. The previous two years, Working Mother Research Institute had pulled out responses pertaining to dads from the 100 Best Companies application. The organizations listed here received the highest numbers of points in the survey about dads, which included questions on parental leave, childcare, adoption leave, fertility benefits, and employee-resource groups for men and working parents.
About Working Mother Media
Working Mother Media (WMM), a division of Bonnier Corp., publishes Working Mother magazine and its companion website, workingmother.com. The Working Mother Research Institute, the National Association for Female Executives, Diversity Best Practices, and Culture@Work are also units within WMM. WMM’s mission is to serve as a champion of culture change, and Working Mother magazine is the only national magazine for career-committed mothers. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.