You’re Invited to LAUNCH: The Ins and Outs of Licensing (Online)
The Ins & Outs of Licensing
DATE: Thursday, February 25
TIME: 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM EST
FORMAT: Online Class
Many designers dream of designing their own collection—be it fabric, furniture, lighting, rugs, bedding, tabletop, hardware—but don’t exactly know where to start and what’s involved. Whether you partner with an established company or go it alone, developing and marketing a collection is no task for the weary. But when done right, the payoff can be huge—not only for your bank account but also for elevating your brand.
If your 5-, 10-, 20-year plan includes building an empire, complete with licensing deals, brand extensions and possibly becoming a household name, then you’ve come to the right place. For this class we’ve enlisted licensing guru Kate Verner of Kate Verner + Associates to lead the charge and share her expert knowledge. She has worked with clients like David Easton, Laura Kirar and Rockwell Group to develop and launch countless product lines and is well versed in the crazy world of wholesale, retail and trade commerce. An added bonus: if you’ve ever designed custom pieces for a client, she’ll share what you need to do to protect your designs and how to turn those pieces into your very own private-label collection.
In this class, you will learn:
- What licensing is, how and where to seek out licensing opportunities and what you need to know before signing with a company
- The difference between licensing and private label
- What a successful licensing deal includes and requires from a designer (SKU counts, approvals, manufacturing, distribution and commitments to marketing and advertising)
- The essential role Intellectual Property plays in licensing
- How to use licensing to build a design brand
By the end of class, you will have:
- An understanding of the ins and outs of licensing and all that goes into each and every licensing deal, as well as clarity on whether you will want to pursue licensing as part of your brand diversification.
*Instructions for accessing our online portal will be sent via email to registered attendees prior to the class.
Space is limited. Once you register, contact Naomi Becker at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 904-1040 to secure a specific time slot.
Editor at Large · 135 West 29th Street · Suite 600 · New York, NY 10001