Nassimi Releases Inaugural Sustainability Report
Report Summarizes Past Sustainability Milestones and Identifies Targets for Years Ahead
Continuing to prioritize environmental efforts, leading textile manufacturer Nassimi has just released its inaugural sustainability report, following close behind a February commitment to eliminate PFAS from all products by 2024. The document is a culmination of the many environmentally conscious initiatives Nassimi has implemented over the years. Moving forward, the report will be issued annually as a method of benchmarking the company’s sustainability performance within the previous year as well as to prompt transparency and accountability, both internally and externally, amongst industry counterparts.
“While the onset of our sustainability efforts date back almost 20 years, we began documenting our progress in 2017. We’ve always viewed our environmental practices as a fundamental responsibility, which over the years have become an integral part of our ethos,” said Nassimi President Edward Nassimi.
As the company’s first report, this year’s review includes a timeline of sustainability milestones, starting with the company’s introduction of a new PVC-free faux leather product in 2000. Highlights include becoming the first company in the industry to remove phthalates from PVC in 2013 as well as the introduction of SiO Silicone in 2019, a solvent and chemical-free coated fabric, and Supreen® in 2020, a PFAS-free liquid barrier performance upholstery fabric.
The remainder of the report summarizes some of the company’s main initiatives by outlining two major components: Science-Based Targets (SBTs) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Science-Based Targets (SBTs)
Science-Based Targets (SBTs) identify the company’s current state as it relates to Scope 1 and 2 emissions of Green House Gas (GHG), consumption of Energy, Water and Waste, as well as reduction targets for each category. This section also highlights recently implemented production initiatives that are specifically designed to help meet reduction targets.
Nassimi’s SBTs were developed to be in line with the Global Compact and the Paris Agreement. The company set a goal to achieve net zero carbon emissions (Scope 1-3) by 2050, to do its part in limiting the global temperature rise. For each of the following categories: Greenhouse Gas (GHG), Energy Consumption, Water Consumption, and Waste Material, Nassimi has set reduction initiatives of 25% by 2030 and reported actual baseline usage data for each to measure reduction progress. Reduction initiatives include:
- Partnership with One Tree Planted – 20,000 trees planted to-date
- Use of low E glass windows + roof panels and water reclamation systems in all production facilities
- Programs focused on reducing or recycling waste in all production facilities – 60% reduced paper consumption at US headquarters since 2019
- Increased efforts to implement electricity-free ventilation systems, solar power, and rainwater harvesting
- Repurposing ‘release paper’ as packaging material
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) highlight company goals related to product, company, and workplace/employee experience improvements, developed in ways that will have a lasting impact on customers and the industry as a whole. Highlights include:
- Responsible production – all PVC and polyurethane production facilities are certified as low energy consumption facilities
- Committed to elimination of PFAS from all woven textiles by 2024
- Transparency assisted through third party certifications Toxnot and Health Product Declaration Collaborative
- Striving to ensure that products and production sites meet various sustainability and transparency standards, including REACH, RoHS, Healthier Hospital Initiative, Oeko-Tex Standard 100, and Bluesign
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI initiatives) – recruiting, hiring, and developing qualified talent regardless of race, color, sex, age, origin, religion, or sexual orientation; annual development review process; workplace education programs.
- Commitment to continuous learning – paid internship partnership with Parsons School of Design
- US headquarters – ENERGY STAR ‘A’ rated building
Looking ahead, Nassimi hopes to continue doing its part to create a healthier and more sustainable world.
Nassimi LLC is a leading supplier of faux leather and performance textiles. Since its inception in 1978, Nassimi has been recognized as the market innovator, setting industry standards and always aiming to exceed expectations. In addition to offering an extensive in-stock product line, Nassimi works closely with manufacturers in a variety of industries to provide solutions to their vinyl and coated fabric needs. With its technical expertise and innovative thinking, Nassimi takes a proactive approach in creating cost-effective and application-specific products to suit its customers’ needs. www.nassimi.com. Instagram: @NassimiLLC