MillerKnoll Retail HQ Awarded Prestigious WELL Certification Platinum
The certification at the highest level possible means the space meets rigorous well-being standards and supports holistic healthy working
MillerKnoll (NASDAQ: MLKN), the global modern design collective, announced today that it has been awarded WELL Certification at the Platinum level (the highest possible) and WELL Health Safety Rating for its new retail headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut by the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI).
The prestigious distinction was awarded through IWBI’s WELL v2, the latest version of the WELL Building Standard. WELL is the premier building standard that focuses on enhancing people’s health and well-being through the buildings where we live, work, and play.
The new location serves as the main office for MillerKnoll’s Retail and Wholesale businesses across the Herman Miller, Knoll, Design Within Reach (DWR), HAY, Muuto, and Fully brands, and complements the MillerKnoll Corporate Headquarters in Zeeland, Michigan. Located within The Village, a newly developed waterfront campus in Stamford’s South End, the 20,000 square-foot office space reflects the company’s latest research and strategic insights and offers a prime location with an abundance of amenities for associates to enjoy. The new space earned the distinction-based well-being strategies implemented across ten categories of building performance — Air, Water, Nourishment, Light, Movement, Thermal Comfort, Sound, Materials, Mind, and Community.
The entire spectrum of well-being at work was considered in both the design and function of the space. Concepts such as air quality and access to natural light along with easily accessible amenities were prioritized in the design of the workspace. In support of human health and well-being and ensuring equal access to health for all occupants of the space, all rooms have access to natural light and beautiful views.
MillerKnoll retail headquarters joins a fleet of third-party verified distinctions within the collective’s global footprint including LEED, WELL, and BREEAM certifications. This space builds upon the company’s legacy in sustainable building design. Herman Miller was one of the first furniture manufacturers to enroll in the WELL Portfolio Program and was a pioneer in the green building movement, helping to define LEED principles with its LEED Pioneer GreenHouse facility in Michigan.
“A commitment to developing equitable and sustainable environments that promote the well-being of our people, our communities, and our planet has long been a foundational tenet that serves to shape our work,” said Matthew Stares, Senior Vice President of Global Real Estate, Architecture and Development. “Achieving WELL Certification at this highest level is a clear demonstration of that commitment.”
Key features that helped MillerKnoll achieve WELL Platinum rating include:
- Increased hydration and access to high quality water – Filtered water is offered in pantry and reusable water bottles are provided upon moving in.
- Easy access to healthy food – Free stocked fruit is offered in pantry and signage encourages healthy behaviors.
- Integrated physical activity and fitness into everyday life – The building has access to a fitness center/gym/yoga studio on ground level. Within the office, there is centralized printing and mail to encourage walking, ad-hoc interaction, and cross-pollination of teams.
- Productive and comfortable indoor environments – The building features a variety of space types – low energy and high energy; open and enclosed; and reservable and non-reservable. Its purposeful use of color and materiality is brighter in community spaces and less saturated and soft in individual areas. Workspaces include high-performance desks with ergonomic seating, sit-to-stand desks, dual monitors on monitor arms, and a storage caddie for personal belongings.
- Optimal acoustical comfort that reduces distractions and promotes focus – The space has a well-curated sound-masking system and custom ceiling solutions to reduce noise transmission and reverberation.
- Support for cognitive and emotional health through design, technology, and treatment strategies – Operations and policies are aligned in support of mental health and well-being. Associates have access to reservable well-being spaces and a dedicated mother’s room, which offers privacy on demand and intentional color and material selection.
- Community engagement and support – A full-time Community Liaison oversees the building and fosters community – connecting occupants to people, resources, and the places they need to be successful while working in the office. There are also spaces for informal and formal gatherings and social events.
WELL is grounded in evidence-based research that explores the connection between the buildings where we spend approximately 90 percent of our time, and the health and well-being impacts on the people inside these buildings. To be awarded WELL Certification by IWBI, MillerKnoll retail headquarters underwent rigorous testing and a final evaluation carried out by third parties to ensure it met all WELL Certified™ Platinum performance requirements.
Read the full press release on the new space here.
International WELL Building Institute pbc is a wholly owned subsidiary of Delos Living LLC. International WELL Building Institute, IWBI, the WELL Building Standard, WELL v2, WELL Certified, WELL AP, WELL Score, The WELL Conference, We Are WELL, the WELL Community Standard, WELL Health-Safety Rating, WELL Health-Safety Rated, WELL Equity Rated, WELL Performance Rated, WELL Performance Rating, WELL and others, and their related logos are trademarks or certification marks of International WELL Building Institute pbc in the United States and other countries.
MillerKnoll is a collective of dynamic brands that comes together to design the world we live in. MillerKnoll brand portfolio includes Herman Miller, Knoll, Colebrook Bosson Saunders, DatesWeiser, Design Within Reach, Edelman Leather, Fully, Geiger, HAY, Holly Hunt, KnollTextiles, Maars Living Walls, Maharam, Muuto, NaughtOne, and Spinneybeck|FilzFelt. MillerKnoll is an unparalleled platform that redefines modern for the 21st century by building a more sustainable, equitable and beautiful future for all.