J+J Flooring: Senior Living Post Occupancy Evaluation White Paper Released
Menno Haven Rehabilitation Center in Chambersburg, Pa., is the first skilled nursing facility in the world to achieve Gold WELL Building Standard
J+J Flooring is pleased to announce the release of the 2020 senior living post occupancy evaluation (POE) white paper from the Society for the Advancement of Gerontological Environments (SAGE). Titled, “Menno Haven Rehabilitation Center: A SAGE Post-Occupancy Evaluation to Explore What Works,” the 40-page paper was funded with the generous support of J+J Flooring.
The 2020 SAGE POE was conducted by a multidisciplinary team of industry experts who spent a day onsite talking with staff, residents, family members, and the project designer.
Features the SAGE team found that work well include:
- Common spaces have high ceilings that allow for expansive glazing, which provides views and brings in natural lighting.
- Guest room configuration addresses the goal of decreasing the need for artificial light and reinforces the natural patterns of the sun, which support circadian rhythms and good sleep hygiene.
- Dining courtyard is graciously laid out to support passive enjoyment of the outdoor space including the incorporation of water features.
- WELL building standards for indoor air quality have positively impacted guests.
Areas for improvement include:
- Flooring transition from the lobby into the therapy space where the materials change from vinyl plank to ceramic tile creates a “bump” that may cause tripping.
- Open kitchen design and large open dining space proved to be acoustically challenging.
- Contrasts between some of the paving materials in the therapy courtyard could have been stronger to increase visual acuity and depth perception and reduce glare.
- More contrast between locations or notable features placed at decision points along guest suite hallways could improve orientation and wayfinding.
“Once again the SAGE team has done a remarkable job of conducting a POE,” said Brian L. Johnson, Director of Business Development, J+J Flooring. “What we have learned will help inform design decisions for future projects and improve the quality of life for seniors. J+J is pleased to have been a part of this program.”
To access the paper, visit the SAGE website, www.sagefederation.org/SAGE-POE
SAGE is a nonprofit membership organization whose mission is to promote collaboration among aging services providers, design professionals, regulators, residents, researchers, manufacturers, educators, students, and others interested in providing innovative and appropriate environments for older adults.
About J+J Flooring
For more than 60 years, J+J Flooring has intelligently crafted beautiful commercial flooring products for diverse applications. As a division of Engineered Floors, LLC, we are proud to be a part of the third largest carpet company in North America. With our range of products including broadloom and modular carpet, Kinetex textile composite flooring, and luxury vinyl tile – we engineer all of our flooring solutions with a steadfast commitment to design, quality, service, integrity, and sustainability. www.jjflooringgroup.com