Interface 2023 Design Trend Index Highlights the Intersection of Function and Aesthetics in Evolving Interiors
Global Flooring Manufacturer Explores Commercial and Residential Design Themes for 2023
Interface®, the global flooring solutions company where everything is certified carbon neutral, reveals key trends driving interiors to become more resilient, adaptable, and sustainable in its Q1 2023 Design Trend Index. The report recognizes design innovations that merge aesthetics and function to create beautiful, customizable spaces.
Curated by design experts at Interface and FLOR®, the company’s premium design brand, the Index highlights six overarching themes informing commercial and residential design. These trends reflect a growing need for refreshed spaces, customizable design, and the creation of the “third space,” as new patterns emerge in how people live, work, and play.
The 2023 Design Trend Index themes include:
- Touch of Texture: The pandemic brought texture to the forefront as people looked to create cozy and comforting spaces. Now, bouclé and teddy bear-inspired textures are making their way from the home to the office, reflected in area rugs, upholstered goods, accent pillows, and more.
- The Third Space: Hybrid and flexible work approaches are driving a need for the “third space” – encompassing alternative environments where people can gather, converse, collaborate, and reenergize beyond the traditional workplace.
- Digitizing Design: Rising interest in DIY projects and increased availability and functionality of digital design tools means creating a custom space is more accessible than ever before.
- Retro Refresh: Inspired by merging the classic and the modern, retro refresh brings bold colors and patterns that perfectly complement natural elements like organic shapes and textural finishes.
- Bold Marble: For centuries, marble has been a mainstay of timeless and elegant design. Now, marble statement pieces in vivid colors and patterns are acting as the focal point in spaces from the living room to the office.
- Climate-Conscious Consumer: The shift towards sustainable design continues as more and more consumers begin to make purchasing decisions based a product’s environmental impact. The design world is innovating to meet this need, as there’s been an increase in the availability of building materials with low-carbon, bio-based, and recycled elements and climate-conscious products for both residential and commercial spaces.
“Re-examining the convergence of function and design in the spaces we live and work is more important than ever before,” said Katherine Cohen, Head of Creative and Merchandising at FLOR and Interface. “This year’s trends reflect the major shifts that we’re seeing impact the design industry, like the return to in-office work and emerging design technology. We’re rethinking how interiors can better serve our ever-changing needs.”
The full Interface Design Trend Index can be found here.
FLOR®, the premium design brand of Interface®, has brought high-end area rugs to homes, offices, and every space between since 2003. FLOR carpet tiles are beautiful, easy to install, and responsibly sourced. Our customizable designs are engineered for high-traffic spaces, from family rooms to conference rooms. For more information, visit FLOR.com.
Interface, Inc., (NASDAQ: TILE) is a global flooring solutions enterprise with an integrated portfolio of carpet tile and resilient flooring products, where everything is third-party certified carbon neutral. With our design approach to flooring systems, we help our customers create high-performance interior spaces that have a positive impact on people’s lives and the planet. Our range includes Interface® carpet tile and LVT, nora® by Interface rubber flooring, and FLOR® premium area rugs for commercial and residential spaces.
Interface is third-party certified as a Carbon Neutral Enterprise. We neutralized our carbon impact across our entire business, including all operations and our full value chain, marking an important milestone toward our objective to become a restorative and carbon negative enterprise by 2040.
Learn more about Interface at interface.com and blog.interface.com, nora by Interface at nora.com, FLOR at FLOR.com, and our sustainability journey at interface.com/sustainability, and our Carbon Neutral Enterprise certification at https://www.interface.com/US/en-US/sustainability/carbon-neutral-enterprise.html.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Pinterest.